Museumsvej 2A
DK-7500 Holstebro
+ 45 9742 4518


The Villa 1906

In 1906, the tobacco manufacturer Søren Færch (1870-1967) had the villa erected on a plot south of Storåen and west of Vegen Å (Danish rivers) on Sønderland, which he had bought in 1903. Andreas L. Clemmensen (1852-1928) was the architect, whose speciality was, indeed, villas. Like many of his other buildings, Færch’s villa was built in a Baroque-inspired mansion style. Its extensive gardens contained e.g. a cascading waterfall and a tennis court. 
The Færch family lived in the villa until 1944. Subsequently in 1948/49, the villa was used as the administrative department of the tobacco factory nearby.

In November 1966, the villa was acquired by Holstebro Municipality with the aim of using it to house the new art museum, which had been planned the previous year.

May 1967 saw the inauguration of Holstebro Kunstmuseum (Art Museum). At its disposal were the three storeys and the basement of the villa itself together with two storeys and the basement in the adjoining annexe – 450 square metres in total. This was the home of Holstebro Kunstmuseum until 1981 when the museum relocated to stage one of a newly-built museum complex.

Today, Færch’s Villa, also known as the Museum Villa, is the main entrance of Holstebro Kunstmuseum and Holstebro Museum in the big museum complex designed by Hanne Kjærholm (1930-2009). The Villa contains the ticket office, the museum shop, the cloakroom etc. as well as exhibition facilities for the art museum.